Tuesday, September 15, 2009

WOJ Guest Designer Try Out and a Book Review: The Madonnas of Leningrad

I made this card for the Whiff of Joy's Guest Designer try outs. The deadline is September 19th, but I think it's still the 18th here in the US, since WOJ is in Switzerland. I'm still working on different shades of skin and combos that I like. I used E15, 13, and 11 for her and so far I'm diggin it. I have 4 sheets left of 2 Scoops and I'm so proud to be using it up.

It's also Risa's birthday today. She's turning the big 5-0. So, you should head to her blog and leave her some bday love! If you've never been to her blog, you're in for a real treat! She's truly an amazing artist!

Paper: Basic Grey
Stamps: Whiff of Joy, sentiment is Amuse
Copics, Prima Flowers, Pearls, Crystal Stickles, MS Border Punch, CTMH Ribbon, and PTI buttons


At the end of 2008, in the Bella Forum, we started the Sista-hood of Reading Bellas. I fell off the bandwagon after June, which was my month to host. Since we pre-picked the books in advance and I already ordered them all from Amazon, I've been trying to catch up. I just read the book that is slated for October. So, now I'll just be going backwards on the list. :)



I'm not a huge history buff, so I don't know anything about Leningrad. The story is about an elderly lady who has Alzheimers and it reflects on her memories from the war. Her memories are very interesting and the best part of the book. In the end, I never felt like the past and the present meet up properly. I wasn't too big on the way the book ends and felt like the author should of put more into the "present" plot. Overall, it's a light and interesting read. But probably something I wouldn't read again.

Well, I hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday! It's Finale night for BB! Go Jordan and Kevin!

22 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful card! Good luck with your tryout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, huge, huge GOOD LUCK Sparkle! This card is gorgeous, and I love how you're trying different skin tones and how they're turning out! AWESOME!!! Hugs, Sem xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, though I am sure you don't need it! This is lovely! Love the DP and the skin tones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Sparkle. You did an excellent job and I personally feel you should be a shoo-in. I love that you are using up your stash of papers, too.

    My library doesn't own that book you mentioned yesterday (darn it) but I will be on the look out for it. Thanks for the review on the book today. I really like reading those on blogs as I can get into "ruts" of types of books to read. Keep sharing your reviews, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous card...wow...great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is gorgeous. I love the coloring. Good luck with the tryout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! Wishing you the best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is great Sparkle! Great combination of colors for her skin! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful, Sparkle. I love the Two scoops BG paper, and the darker skin tone is gorgeous!! :) Hugs, Kel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the darker skin tone, great job! Amazing as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute card! I need to play around with skin tones but I'm afraid to, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the skin tones! I should really play around with those too! I'm with ya on BB! I really hope Jordan or Kevin wins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card, Sparkle! I love how you colored this sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your card is gorgeous. Love the skin tone you used. Best of luck with the DT try outs. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful card!! I'm not brave enough to try other skin tones...bravo to you for doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet card! The Basic Grey always adds a elegant/vintage flair and I'm so impressed that you are trying different skin tones -- I'm stuck on a single combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Sparkle!
    Your card is beautiful and your image is colored to perfection! Great job blending in the colors, the results are fab!
    Thanks for the birthday "shout out"! I had a beautiful day and am finally able to catch up on my blogging!
    Good luck with the WOJ GDT position. You are very crafty and talented and very deserving to be on WOJ's team!
    hugs
    Risa:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with the GDT spot! The card is too cute! :)

    Thanks for the book review! I'm terrible with reading lately... I have like 6 books stacked at home waiting to be read but still haven't had the chance! I need motivation (or more time in the day! *lol*)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks