Thursday, December 2, 2010

Get Better Soon Sick Riley Card and Book Review: Girl in Translation

My cousin Chris found out he had gallstones and had to have surgery a week ago.  So I made him this card and I hope he won't be in pain for much longer.  Since he lives down in Portland, I hope to see him over the holidays when Brent and I go home.

Confession time - this is the first time I've used this Riley.  I don't even remember when it was released or when I bought it, lol.  It's a sickness I tell you!  Stay away from the oh, so cute moose! :)  I also used Mercy's sketch that she made for Farm Fresh Friday. 

Paper: Basic Grey Oliver
Stamps: Riley and Co, sentiment is A Muse
Nestabilities, Copics, BG Buttons, Twine, and CTMH Brads

So, I have a membership at BOMC2.  With this subscription, I get a new hard cover book each month for $9.95.  Since its my non-crafty splurge for the month, I try not to read my books too fast.  But I was very unsuccessful with this one.  I read it in 2 days and I've gone all month without a book, lol.  Guess more time to work on my Christmas cards...

This story is about a mom and daughter who come from China and work in a sweat shop.  Though they live in an apartment that has roaches, no heat, and broken windows, the daughter is a phenomenal student.  She works really hard in her classes and eventually gets a scholarship to go to Yale. 


During this time, of course she falls in love with a boy that works at the sweat shop with her.  He's happy with his simple and poor life and doesn't understand why she's pushing so hard to be better and something more then what she is.  It's suspenseful as you're wondering if she's gonna give up her scholarship for him and even though she's able to do so much good, the ending is a bit bittersweet.  Not every story ends with a fairy tale ending I suppose, lol. 

Well, I hope you all have a lovely Thursday!  I'm excited for Grey's and Private Practice!

15 comments:

  1. Pretty Card for get well wishes. Love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Cute! Cute! Hope your cousin feels better! Thanks for the book review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute card. Riley looks adorable.

    The book sounds very interesting. I can see why you would have read it so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds like an interesting book... but it's too late about the Moose. Thanks to you, I ordered a handful of Riley's (my first ever!) yesterday!! You are officially my biggest enabler to date: Bellas, Anyas, Rileys, and your own stamps. Will you PLEASE stop using such adorable images?? My pocketbook can't take much more of this, lol!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute Riley card! She is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute card! Once again another stamp I have that is not seeing the love, I think I am going to have to go through my collection and show everyone a little more ink! LOL Thanks once again for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUPER cute card!! I am loving the cut out spellbinders...may have to get some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this little Riley and own him too! REally cute card! And thanks for the tip on the book! I put it on my Nook wishlist. I'm always on the lookout for a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet card.. hope it cheers him up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable! So perfect for your friend! I don't own a single Riley, but I'd better not start. I have too many other addictions LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute Riley card. I'm sure your cousin will appreciate the thought.

    Thanks for the book recommendation. It sounds interesting so I suggested to our bookclub.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Riley looks SWEET, even when he is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure he loved your card...love that nestie...thanks for the book recommendation...I'm into the books on CD now for my long commutes to and from work..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks